- University of Detroit Mercy School of Law, Detroit, MI – Juris Doctorate
- Outstanding Achievement in Trial Practice
- Federal Criminal Investigator School, Glynco, GA
- ATF New Agent Training School, Glynco, GA
- Ashland University, Ashland, Ohio – Bachelor of Science (Criminal Justice)
Joel Kirkpatrick is the founder of Joel J. Kirkpatrick, P. C. The firm focuses its representation of federal employees, including federal law enforcement agents for misconduct, criminal defense, and civil defense as it relates to their employment with the federal government. He has frequently represented federal employees against misconduct allegations leading to removal from federal service. He has extensive experience in litigating these misconduct matters in the Merit Systems Protection Board (MSPB) and has obtained several reversal of removals leading to his clients returning to duty. He has represented federal law enforcement agents sued personally for Bivens claims in federal district court alleging constitutional deprivations against criminal defendants. He is represented federal law enforcement agents accused of criminal misconduct in the enforcement of their law enforcement duties in federal district court.
He represents federal firearms licensees (FFL) for federal firearms administrative revocation proceedings, federal District Court petitions and has represented FFL’s charged with criminal violations in federal district court. The firm also handles federal criminal violations and constitutional violations in federal district court. He was previously a federal law enforcement agent for more than 10 years.
Joel obtained his undergraduate education from Ashland University in Ohio with a Bachelor of Science degree in Criminal Justice. After leaving Ashland University, he served as a Special Agent with the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms, stationed in the Detroit field division. Joel investigated large scale drug trafficking organizations, organized criminal enterprises, conducted undercover operations, and participated in numerous high risk enforcement activities including the execution of search and arrest warrants. This experience has created extensive knowledge and a strong foundation to represent individuals facing Federal criminal charges. Upon leaving his Federal law enforcement position, Joel began practicing law in Toledo, Ohio prior to relocating to the Metro Detroit area. Licensed in both states, Mr. Kirkpatrick is intimately familiar with Michigan and Ohio state and Federal law, practices and procedures.
- State Bar of Michigan
- State Bar of Ohio
- U.S District Court, Eastern District of Michigan
- U.S District Court, Western District of Michigan
- U.S District Court, Northern District of Ohio
- U.S District Court, Southern District of Ohio
- U.S. Sixth Circuit Court of Appeals
- U.S. Court of Appeals, Federal Circuit
- Federal Bar Association – Detroit